I remember...

I remember when 10-year-olds didn't all have cell phones, if we wanted to talk to eachother we would just talk to eachother.

I remember when we listened to CDs. I remember my dad telling me he listened to cassettes, and my grandmothers record player. My great grandfather remembers when people used to play instruments.

I remember when the west nile became a pandemic. It used to be a river.

I remember when I didn't understand politics. It seems the more I understand about politics, the less I understand about everything else.

I remember when childrens television wasn't this deluted blender of weak dialogue and overdone life-lessons, turning brains to cole-slaw. I remember when children used to watch childrens television.

I remember when we didn't play with matches.

I remember when my peers hadn't forgotten that their parents work hard to provide them with shelter, food and means of living. I remember when it became cool to forget, and society became a war where the winner was the person who had the worst parents.

I remember when "cool" meant you had a boy-scout pocket knife. This was before "cool" meant you had been stabbed with a boy-scout pocket knife.

I remember when sex was a bad word.

I remember when being smart was a compliment, and being dirt-stupid wasn't trendy.

I remember when we used to go to the internet for information; now we go to the internet to be misinformed.

I remember playing cops and robbers. I remember losing cops and robbers. I'm glad I havn't lost cops and robbers again since I've grown, but we see more people losing it every day; it isn't so forgiving anymore.

I remember when everyone wanted to be a "space-man" when they grew up. I remember when we grew up and realized we couldn't be space-men.

I remember when I used to dwell on the past.

2 comments:

Nelson said...

This is very interesting. It's not so much your own memories of your childhood, but more of a commentary on society as a whole. Your commentary on the changing of the times. It's still very good.

My favorite line: I remember when sex was a bad word.

You have a lot of great one-liners. "now we go to the internet to be misinformed."

And one of the best closing lines for this assignment: "I remember when I used to dwell on the past."

FRED BERNSTEIN said...

You made a lot of funny points in this post. "...Turning our brains to coleslaw" was among my favorite lines. I can also relate, as I was one of the kids who wanted to be a "space man" back in the day...until I realized how much math and science when into it. :(

Post a Comment